This volume provides a review and analysis of research evidence on improving educational outcomes for English learners. Six chapters, written by teams of well-known and respected researchers and practitioners, address critical questions for educators about optimizing English language and literacy development and content instruction. CAL contributors include Diane August, Deborah Short, and CAL Trustee Fred Genesee.
This publication is intended to assist school districts in the design, implementation, and evaluation of programs for English learners. Chapters are directed to an audience of classroom teachers, resource teachers, administrators, teacher educators, and providers of professional development. Program designers and policy makers are also likely to find the publication helpful. 2010. (382 pp).
The volume includes the following chapters:
- Research to Guide English Language Development Instruction
William Saunders and Claude Goldenberg
- English Language Development: Issues and Implementation in Kindergarten Through Grade5
Marguerite Ann Snow and Anne Katz
- English Language Development: Issues and Implementation at Grades Six Through Twelve
Susana Dutro and Kate Kinsella
- Effective Literacy Instruction for English Learners
Diane August and Timothy Shanahan
- Programs and Practices for Effective Sheltered Content Instruction
Jana Echevarria and Deborah Short
- Alternative Educational Programs for English Learners
Kathryn Lindholm-Leary and Fred Genesee